Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Monday 22 August 2011

Where is all the money that was raised for Haiti?

When I was in Haiti back in June, well over a year after the earthquake, I quickly realised that there was still rubble everywhere, makeshift tents, flooding of stagnant water, lack of clean water - all in all nightmare-ish conditions. This forced me to ponder many questions, most patently - why hasn't more been done to help the Haitians in an effective way? It seemed glaringly obvious that the money raised worldwide either hadn't reached Haiti or was not put to good use. Both of which are reprehensible!

How the World Failed Haiti - the title of this article pretty much sums up how I feel about Haiti. On further reading, I found this article very informative regarding the present dire conditions, that I witnessed first hand, and ultimately the failed promises suffered by Haitians.


"This May, the U.S. Government Accountability Office reported that of the $1.14 billion allocated by Congress for Haiti last year, only $184 million has been "obligated." "

I often hear talk of Haiti being unfixable. A lost cause. However, it's often unclear to me whether this is in reference to the country itself (mother nature) or its peoples. To me, Haitians exemplify strength. Think Haitian Revolution (1791-1904) - its legacy still lives on in the people's spirits. I have faith in the people.

Is Haiti really unfixable or a place that some don't want to be fixed? 


Beyond the effects of the earthquake, have you ever questioned why Haiti is in this condition today?

I continue to write this blog because I feel that it is only right that I share my experiences in Haiti and thoughts since I have left. I wish to contribute to the discussions on Haiti.

Haiti should never fall off OUR radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment