Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Sunday 17 June 2012

One year later: a reflection on my time in Haiti

Wow! I can't believe it!! One year since I was in Haiti. I remember clearly arriving in the bustling Port-au-Prince airport alone. I had a slight panic tracking down my baggage in the makeshift building, the rain was pelting down, and my driver nowhere to be found. It was chaotic. A culture shock! I felt a mixture of wariness and excitement. Completely out of my comfort zone, but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that I would be just fine! I'm so touched that despite spending a short amount of time in Haiti, it was such a transformative experience, a rollercoaster of emotions, and it really opened my eyes to other people's realities around the world. Never have I seen such abject poverty. On the other hand, never have I felt so welcome by people brimming with such determination, spirit and strength despite facing so much adversity. I was truly humbled by my experience in Haiti and continue to be today. I believe that everything happens for a reason and I am thankful that I was able to see Haiti firsthand and find out more about this island that always seemed so mysterious; to go beyond the myths and misconceptions and, let's face it, the overwhelmingly negative portrayal. I was overwhelmed by the natural beauty of the island and its people, juxtaposed by the absolute destruction exacerbated by the earthquake in 2010 - dilapidated buildings, flooding, rubble everywhere. Despair filled the air, yet I was moved by people's sense of hope and pride, something that I will always remember and value. It may seem inappropriate to say that I had a wonderful time, but I really did enjoying meeting and engaging with the local people as well as the other international volunteers. My time in Haiti was truly special. What I learnt then and what I still believe now is that as a short term volunteer I have a duty to keep talking about Haiti and sharing my experience with  friends and family, which hopefully they will share with others, like a domino effect.  I am under no impression that I can save the world. However, I also firmly believe that every little counts and that raising awareness is soooo important. This is a key message that I took home from Peru too.

"If you make an observationyou have an obligation" (M.K. Asante Jr)

When I close my eyes, I can smell, feel, hear and touch Haiti. A place like no other, all of my senses were alerted. I hope to visit again in the future with more advanced skills and experience to share and make the most meaningful contribution as possible to people's lives. I often think about Haiti and what the Haitians have to go through day by day. It was such a grounding experience and whenever I want to moan or complain I just think about how privileged I am to live in the UK and in London. Sometimes I take these privileges for granted - a national health service, welfare system, running water, and a safe and solid home. Most importantly, the basics: food, clothes and shelter. Nothing could have prepared me for my first sight of Haiti and I am so glad that I came without expectations because seeing such utter devastation is extremely mind blowing! Knowing that this is many Haitian's daily existence really does upset and frustrate me.

My experiences travelling and volunteering around the world drive and motivate me to do well and not take advantage of what I have in life. Witnessing injustice reminds me how lucky I am and keeps me focused on what really matters, to enjoy the simple things in life and not be consumed by trivial matters. Moreover, my recent experience in Peru has reinforced the importance of working with local people at grassroots level. It's the hard-working everyday people on the ground that truly inspire me.

One year has gone by and I'll never never forget you Haiti. This is my reflection.

Capitol Building, Port-au-Prince. First hour in Haiti

View from All Hands Volunteers base, Leogane

© All photographs belong to moi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment