Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Monday 30 January 2012

6.3 on the Richter scale!

At times, the stories I read in the media about natural disasters seem sensationalised, motivated by sales and profit.  Having volunteered in Haiti last year, I believe that even if this is true, no story can ever capture the anguish and devastating effects of the 2010 earthquake.

Well, in the early hours this morning, I experienced an earthquake, here in Ica.  I sat on my bed as the ground shook violently, it was as though a train had crashed through my window at full speed. It couldn't have been for more than 30 seconds but during that time a lot of things raced through my mind - that's for sure!  Strangely I felt a sense of calm, but it was mostly unnerving and unsettling.  My mind and body wobbled for ages after like jelly. I can not imagine what the people of Haiti and Peru (and around the world) have gone through and continue to experience.  According to reports the earthquake measured 6.3 on the Richter scale.  Waking up after a very intense and sleepless night, I could only think about those who were living in poorly structured homes and hoped that no one was hurt.  I can't help but put on my psychologist hat; I wonder what were the psychological effects of the 2007 earthquake on Peruvians.  I also think about how each new tremor agitates an already fragile state of mind. These issues are important to probe in Haiti too, and around the word for that matter!  What must it feel like to know that an earthquake could happen at any time and that it is completely out of your control?  Are people living in a constant state of fear?  What can be done to empower people living in earthquake prone areas, especially those from socio-economically deprived backgrounds?  How can we help those who face this reality, particularly in developing countries?  I hope to begin to answer some of these questions whilst I am here... one thing I do know is that this experience has certified in my mind that there is most certainly a higher power out there.  I stumbled upon the American Psychological Association (APA) natural disasters webpage last year whilst in Haiti.  Unsurprisingly, I am compelled to unearth this resource today and re-familiarise myself with its content.

My volunteer work over the past few years has reinforced just how passionate I am about development on a local, national and international scale.  And the importance of engaging in work that enables me to make a meaningful and positive contribution to society. If you can be happy at work and love what you do, then I believe that you have found true success!

Wow! Life is really precious and as a one of my best friends recently said "what a gift it is to be alive, and to know it".

1 comment:

  1. hi darling i had goosebumps reading this! from what i recall in our our gcse geography lessons, 6.3 on the richter scale is pretty huge! glad to know your safe... sounds like you've had yet another life experience that puts everything into perspective. love you

    Bush xxx

    ReplyDelete