Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Thursday 26 January 2012

Settling in...

I am slowly settling in to life in Ica, living in the desert has its highs and lows! The weather is hotttttt as you would expect and the humidity just knocks me out!  The kinda heat that makes you feel lethargic, yet you know that you have lots of work to do. I guess that's why they have siestas here, but to be honest that isn't working for me at all! Thankfully, the pace of life here is laid back and its probably a good thing that I'm getting the chance to slow down a little. I'm quite lucky to leave my house and be faced with sand dunes, not everyone can say that right?! However, when the dust and sand blows, and it does frequently, I sigh! Living in the desert is nothing like that Sex and the City 2 movie - let me tell you! I also have the pleasure of living on the Pan-Americana - the only road that links the North and South of Peru. You can imagine the noise!!! It's like being in my own epic car racing/lorry driving movie- the special effects are intense!

 Life is simple here, yet complicated. I've enjoyed learning about the Peruvian culture, history and politics during my orientation in Lima, and now experiencing it for myself in Ica. Forget the red London buses and grimey tube, I'm riding in tiny mototaxis back and forth on the bumpy roads of Ica now! I must admit, I definitely experienced a culture shock in Ica, more so than in Lima. Lima felt familiar, like I was in a European city, whereas Ica feels totally new and exciting but also overwhelming. It's interesting because Haiti was probably the most shocking reality that I have ever been faced with - the juxtaposition of the lush landscape, marvellous people and devastation of the earthquake on infrastructure and peoples lives. I instantly felt an affinity to Haiti. Whereas, it has taken me much longer to adapt to living in Peru, which is a surprise as I do adore Latin American culture. A learning experience nonetheless, and I have come to understand just how resilient and flexible I can be. I have definitely had my moments though i.e. w'hat the hell am I doing here?' But overall I am so thankful to be here and to work with Progressio and the local organisation, Casas de la Salud de Ica. I am slowly starting to find my feet and am very happy here. I look forward to the new experiences that await me...A dream has come true: to engage in meaningful work in South America! Yeehaa!!! I really have to step up my game and learn more Latin American Spanish - what a beautiful language! My understanding is improving, and I need to work on my delivery. I'm quite confident in interacting with the locals and more than happy to make a fool of myself in the process, and if all else fails hand gestures can be very useful!

Food is a big thing over here and life is centred around meal times. I have to say it will take me a lil time to get accustomed to some of the local dishes, but I have most definitely developed a penchant for Chicha Morada - juice made from purple corn, that is native to the Peruvian Andes, mixed with fruit and spices. Yum! The ceviche and chicharron de mariscos (think seafood tempura but nicer) is simply delicious too. On the other hand, my non carnivorous ways really are NOT understood here! The amount of times I've ordered a vegetarian dish - topped with swine of all things (gross)- is just hilarious. Moreover, people will look at you straight faced and claim that there is no meat in the dish lol! Oh well, keep on smiling...I'm in Peru!!!

Food aside, I'm here to facilitate a research project on child development with Casas de la Salud de Ica.  Situated in Acomayo, the local area is not the most joyous place to be, but once you step inside the premises it's like being in a little oasis. There is such a positive and warm vibe at Casas and the staff are very welcoming. I came to Peru with few expectations and am happy to have found out that I am able to engage in a project that I am truly passion about - y'all no research and helping others is my thing! And to learn from others and share my skills too. The project is about the effectiveness of the Wawa Wasis (early education/childcare) programme for children aged 3 and under, in terms of physical health and psycho social development. Wawa Wasis, is a government initiative that is driven by local people, and enables children from low income families to experience a nurturing and stimulating environment during the day, whilst the parents are out at work. We hope to share our findings with the local community to raise awareness of the outcomes that can be achieved and to encourage more families to involve their children with the Wawa Wasis programme. I am working in a small team at the moment and we are currently reviewing the literature and designing the study. I feel that I am finally able to put all of my research training, enthusiasm, and voluntary experience into a tangible and well thought out project. I hope to make a difference here, no matter how small.



All pics courtesy of Google images. Don't worry, I'll share my own pics soon... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment