Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Friday 3 June 2011

Day One: Inappropriate Clothing

I'm often told that my clothing is inappropriate for the weather lol - you know who you are! Well this time, my hoodie and jeans came in handy for the tropical climate of Haiti, as it was actually rather chilly today. This was a fluke on my part of course! Now that the evening has set in, it has become warmer and the rain has subsided...hopefully the pools of water I have to dodge in order to reach my bottom bunk (my home for the next few weeks) - that is pretty much exposed to the elements- will drain away tomorrow. My entry into Haiti started with a bang! I managed to get through the haphazard baggage claim and was quickly accosted by some friendly workers who helped me with my very heavy and numerous luggage items. Note to self: never pack more than you can actually carry! I waited in the pouring rain for the driver. Sounds more dramatic than it actually was and at least I was under a canopy! It was a culture shock - surrounded by only beautiful black faces, various welcoming expressions. The locals don't quite know what to make of me. I felt comfortable. Eventually, I located the driver and hopped into the back seat of the beat up car. All seemed well and then I saw the rows of blue dilapidated tents - yes people's homes. It made me sad – something that will always stick with me. It was humbling. On the way to Leogane, we passed the ruined National Palace - a scene from one of those disastrous blockbuster disaster movies, only this was very much REAL! Port au Prince was vast, but not bustling - most likely due to the heavy downpour! Lots of colour - reds, greens, yellows and blues stood out to me! Around 2 hours later we arrived to our destination. The destruction that the earthquake has caused is overwhelming, having seen so many pictures on the news etc, it's all come to life now. However, it almost feels as though it’s not real. Truly surreal! A plate of rice and beans nourished me after a long day of travelling. My first cold bucket shower was refreshing, to be honest I had to psyche myself up at first, but it was all good in the end even though it was in the dark. I feel most welcomed by the other volunteers (local and international); there are around 60 of us in total. Now I just need to brush up on my Creole. Will complete the night with a cuppa – a treat in this neck of the woods! Orientation tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. What a fiery start, wish i was there to share a life experience with u. Go gyal have fun, your effort is super human and worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiery indeed! Thanks for all of your support :)

    ReplyDelete