Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Saturday 11 June 2011

Glazed Eyes

Besides working on the hottest day so far, I visited a local orphanage this afternoon. Happy, smiling faces greeted me, it was very touching! I focused in one child in particular wearing a red top, as I walked into the bedroom area, who looked like me in my baby pictures...it was very surreal. I went to take the child's hand and in response she gripped tightly. I looked into her big brown eyes and she looked at me with glazed eyes; her eyes did not register me but her touch did. It was painful to see, it was almost as though she has lived a long and arduous life, well beyond her years. I can't even imagine what she has been through. She looked no more than 1 years old. Whilst all the other children were engaged in play, full of laughter and playing games, she sat there in her chair nonchalant to her surroundings, but somehow I knew that she welcomed me. The only thing that stopped me from crying was having to pick up all of the children in turn so that they all had the chance to play with me. Being new is always a novelty! I went up to all of them and kissed them on their hands, they were just so sweet and full of love despite the bad experiences that they have had to endure. It was really difficult to leave...

1 comment:

  1. aww, it quite touching. the value of life or the true cushion of our comfort zone is not known until we share the experience of those less previledge. Having said that your bold steps in helping out there shows you're CARING AND SWIT DIVA.....

    ReplyDelete