Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Reflection

I helped to paint murals in school 10 today; really enjoyed it and to my surprise found it very therapeutic! I couldn't face doing rubble today and wanted to engage in an activity that was indoors. The sun is HOTTTTTTTTT!!! There is a little boy who always comes by the school when All Hands are there, his name is Stevenson and he is just so adorable! Nice and quiet on base today, feeling very relaxed this evening. I made it to paradise beach on Saturday - it stayed true to its name and was most certainly paradise! Beautiful clear water, - a mix of tropical blue hues. Omelette and fresh cherry juice for breakfast. Lobster on the beach for lunch. Does it get better than this? I look a mess, am fairly dishevelled, and quite frankly have been this way for the past 2 weeks  - dirty clothes, paint and dirt marks everywhere, but I feel alive inside! I have never been anywhere that is like Haiti and don't suppose I ever will. As my time in this beautifully chaotic island comes to an end, I am reflecting on the highs and lows and savouring the fact that this experience is truly unique and one that I will never forget. The local volunteers in particular have made me feel so welcome, and I will return to London having made some great friendships. Who knew that I could be a part of something so great, I truly believe that All Hands do a great job and I really respect the fact that they are phasing out international volunteers so that local volunteers can replace them and therefore Haitians themselves can help to shape and progress the projects here.

1 comment:

  1. Yup!

    Some say they should build a new captial, as PAP is so overcrowded. The general consensus seems to be that some NGOs produce good work, but that this is not the ultimate answer. It appears as though NGOs are a law unto themselves. This has been an insightful trip in many ways! Yes, I hear that promises are not always kept...I feel that the focus should be the long term and not just short term projects/measures. I have hope for Haiti...I tell you, the people are so strong and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete