Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Wednesday 15 June 2011

One more day...

Wow! I am leaving tomorrow, feels like I have been here longer than 2 weeks. I am now in an area called Thomassian, a beautful place in the mountains. Spectacular vistas up here and it's nice and cool too. Must be very high up as my ears are always popping! I am staying with a wonderful family, who have really welcomed me into their home.Yesterday, I visited Jacques fort, which was created in 1805, a year after independence. Haiti has such a unique history I really look forward to reading The Black Jacobins by CLR James on the plane home. You can still see the aftermath of the earthquake in PAP, especially the damaging effect on the infastructure and some people's living conditions. To my surprise, in the Petion-ville area I have also seen a different way of life, whereby people live in glorious homes and lead a good life. This is not to say that this area has not been affected by the earthquake too. It seems to have affected everybody's lives in some way. The rich/poor divide however is like no other that I have ever seen. More photos of my experience in Haiti to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment