Get in touch

Please do get in touch... destinationleogane@gmail.com

Sunday 5 June 2011

Sledgehammer!

I spoke too soon, it's been raining non-stop! After 2 days on the rubble site @ Basou I am slowly but surely perfecting my sledgehammer technique...Surprisingly it's quite refreshing to engage in this work under the pouring la plie (rain), especially with such a positive morale that the team emits - and singing Creole songs- which never fails to spur me on! I find this work in particular very satisfying and it's about time I did some manual labour! I have used muscles that I didn't even know existed lol. I can't express enough how beautiful the people of Haiti are; but don't take my word for it, come and see for yourself! Everytime I see the buildings that have been damaged and the destruction that the earthquake has left behind it really makes me reflect on how grateful I am for the life that I am able to lead. Every piece of rubble is poignant to me. I cannot even begin to describe what it's like to stand and work on a site knowing that this was once a building in tact. What is so beautiful about Haitians to me is their deeply wonderful spirit, their friendliness, their humility. I really enjoy conversing with the locals and trying to learn Creole. I am so glad to be here.

Tonight I have had the opportunity to sample the local rum at Joe's Bar next to the base where I am staying with All Hands Volunteers. I am going to sleeping GOOD tonight :)

Off to Jacmel tomorrow to explore the area and hang out at the beach. Sunday is the day off for everyone here.

2 comments:

  1. i feel u right there, it not just about work - work. Enjoy and have fun...it a vacation, exploration and education all combine in one. one in a life time experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I reckon I could! Hmmmm mostly American, a few Mexicans & English. I am one of two Black international volunteers.

    ReplyDelete